Healthcare Insider Blog

Student Insights: Zielinski seeks nursing degree for pride, fulfillment

• Healthcare Alvernia

Nursing student We recently surveyed our nursing students to learn where they are in their career and asked what advice they have for those considering earning a nursing degree. We’ll share their thoughts periodically on this blog to help you decide if you should enroll in a nursing program. Here are a few insights from Jeanne Zielinski.

Why did you decide to pursue your nursing degree?

I chose nursing in order to have a career in something I can be both proud of and help others. I also hope this journey will not only benefit my hopes and dreams, but also give my children a sense of pride and encouragement towards their future endeavors.

What has been your favorite class so far, and why?

I thoroughly enjoyed all of my classes at Alvernia because each class lays a foundation towards future courses. Even my liberal arts classes have given my critical thinking skills an opportunity to grow and develop. After all, as the saying goes, “knowledge is power!”

What has been the biggest, pleasant surprise so far in nursing school?

As I look back at my course objectives thus far, I am thoroughly surprised with the amount of knowledge I have gained overall. It is amazing to see how much I have learned as a nursing student in only three semesters. The information and knowledge given are endless. My favorite part of nursing school is when it is review time for finals week and to look back and see how much I have learned and retained.

Do you currently work part or full time? If you work, are you working in a healthcare setting?

Nursing student I do not currently work while I attend school; however I am a wife and mother of two and that to me is full time work. It is a job that does not pay as a financial standpoint but has its own rewards.

Why did you choose to attend Alvernia?

What stood out to me with Alvernia is its small class size and NCLEX pass rate.

What would be your dream nursing job? For example, travel nursing, working with pediatric patients, working in the operating room? And why?

My ultimate dream is to work at a veteran’s hospital to give care to veterans. This will be a small tribute that I can give to them as they have given us so much as part of our United States military.

Do you plan to stay in the Reading area or are you open to moving?

Life is always full of surprises and adventures. As of right now, I plan to stay in the area so my children can stay within the same school district without constant relocation. The future however is full of options and opportunities that could lead to possibilities to a new area and if that were to happen I would be fine with relocating. Home is where you make it.

Is there anything else you’d like to share?

As a nontraditional college student, I am honestly thankful to have this opportunity to further my education. This journey is truly a blessing to me and I look forward to the years to come.