Advice for time crunched nursing students
School, work and a social life can pull a nursing student in many directions. To help juggle it all, many students find it’s essential to learn how to prioritize, plan their time and sometimes multitask. In addition, technology can help make busy nursing students’ lives a little easier.
First, here are three general time management tips:
- Keep track of your schedule. Plan out time for study, work and personal responsibilities. As you design a schedule, remember to make it something you can realistically follow
- Organize, organize, organize. You can save valuable time by knowing where necessary items are. Organize them and yourself in a way that makes it easy for you to get right to your tasks.
- Set goals. A solid goal-setting system can not only help you manage your time effectively, but boost your confidence as you complete goals.
OK, so you know what you have to do. What are the tools you are going to use to help you? Fortunately, nursing students can select from a variety of time management technology and apps to schedule, organize and make goals. Here are some options:
- Timeful. Startup Timeful offers their eponymous product, an iOS app designed to help people manage their time. The app works as a calendar and to-do list and uses intelligent code to gather information on the user’s habits and regular routines in order to make recommendations on times to schedule new tasks when the user is most productive. The goal of Timeful is for users to become less reliant on the app.
- Focus booster. Focus booster is an online app that allows users to break up their schedule into manageable chunks. It’s based on the Pomodoro technique – using a timer to break down work into shorter sessions with a number of breaks in order to keep users productive. Nursing students might find the digital app appealing because it offers visual cues for keeping track of time.
- Listastic. Sharing tasks and responsibilities can get a little easier with Listastic. This to-do- list app provides functionality to organize, collaborate and share lists. Whether you have to share tasks related to a group assignment in your nursing labs and classes, or share what groceries are needed with your roommates, Listastic can help.
The above are three apps that can help you organize and manage all of the aspects of your life. Check out an earlier blog post we wrote reviewing web clipping software and apps that you might find useful for researching and writing academic papers. In addition, here’s a review we wrote on apps that put the periodic table of elements, general anatomy, monographs for more than 3,300 generic and trade drugs and much more on your smartphone.