Healthcare Insider Blog

Alvernia students make the case for the RN to BSN degree

• Healthcare Alvernia

In a recent survey of Alvernia RN to BSN students, respondents were asked why they decided to get their RN to BSN. Below are their answers along with industry support for their statements.

Having a BSN will become the base entry level for nurses. I have been an RN for over 20 years and felt that is was time for me to advance my education.” – Shelley Reber, ’13 – Reading, Pa.

The need is so great that nurses without bachelor’s degrees are still in demand. But experts say that may change in years to come, particularly at hospitals, the largest segment of the profession and one of the best paid. – New York Times

As more hospitals seek the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s coveted Magnet recognition, a recent but quiet trend has been slowly making its way into the nursing world: hospitals are requiring their nurses to either return to school for their bachelor’s degrees or have a BSN before applying. – Nurse.com

Last year, the New Brunswick hospital sent the staff a brief letter stating a new policy for the institution: All registered nurses — even those who have been treating patients for decades — need to earn a bachelor of science degree in nursing within the next decade. – NJ.com

“I need my BSN to advance in my current department.” – Megen Schorn, Sinking Spring, Pa.

For many nurses looking to advance their careers, a BSN is the natural next step. It is a 4-year program that includes research-oriented learning, leadership training, and liberal arts. Many of the students that are enrolled in the BSN program are previous RN’s with associate degrees or diplomas. They are now going back to school with all the hardships involved; financially, time inflexibility, family and other outstanding commitments. – Nursing.net

Nurses should achieve higher levels of education and training through an improved education system that promotes seamless academic progression. – American Association of Colleges of Nursing.

“I wanted to further advance my career and to meet all of my expectations and dreams as a BSN.” — Christoper Reinbold

Nurses with BSN and higher consistently report higher levels of job satisfaction. – ADN to BSN report

“I have always wanted to further my education, and this is a stepping stone for earning my master’s degree.” – Cindy Levengood, Reading, Pa.

In addition to increased numbers of BSN-educated nurses, schools of nursing must build their capacities to prepare more students at the graduate level who can assume roles in advanced practice, leadership, teaching, and research. – Institute of Medicine

“I pursued a BSN to broaden my nursing education as well as broaden my career choices within nursing.” — Patricia Ortlip, ’13 – Boyertown, Pa.

Interdisciplinary teamwork requires education on organizational structure, communication, leadership, information, management, health care policy, finance and regulatory frameworks. — AACN