Healthcare Insider Blog

Nursing Next: Shelley Reber, Alvernia RN to BSN student reassures all adult students

• Healthcare Alvernia

Today’s blog post in our Nursing Next section features our RN to BSN student, Shelley Reber.

Why did you decide to pursue a BSN?

Having a BSN will become the base entry level for nurses. I have been an RN for over 20 years and felt that is was time for me to advance my education.

What advice would you give to someone who is just starting in this career path?

Don’t be afraid because you have been out of school for a long time…you can do it!

Please share an example of a time when you were able to apply something you’d learned in class to your current job?

Nursing leadership and management was my favorite class. Even though I am not a manager, it gave me insight to what decisions managers have to make. I utilize some of the things I learned in this class when placed in a charge nurse role.

What is an academic skill (writing, oral communication, critical thinking) you believe every nurse should possess, no matter what stage in his or her career?

All of them!

Do you currently work part or full time?

Part time.

In what areas of nursing practice have you worked?

Critical care and post-anesthesia care.

How long have you been in nursing?

23 years

Anything else you’d like to share?

Of minor note, I would have found it useful to have a separate email mailing list for RN to BSN students. I am not involved with campus life and receive too many emails!

Are you considering a Master of Science in Nursing after you earn a BSN?

No

Are you aware of the 2010 Institute of Medicine report, The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health, which calls for a nurse workforce by 2020 that is 80% BSN-prepared?

Yes