Healthcare Insider Blog

RN to BSN students: You’re not ‘just a nurse’

• Healthcare Alvernia

Because doctors prescribe our medications, operate on our bodies and write their names on their office doors, many patients – and sometimes even RNs themselves — view nurses as “not a doctor” or “just a nurse.” And they are dead wrong.

Nursing encompasses autonomous and collaborative care of individuals of all ages, families, groups and communities, sick or well and in all settings. Nursing includes the promotion of health, prevention of illness, and the care of ill, disabled and dying people. Advocacy, promotion of a safe environment, research, participation in shaping health policy and in patient and health systems management, and education are also key nursing roles.”

If that impressive list of skill sets isn’t enough to dispel the “just a nurse” myth, take a look at some of these inspiring tales:

Emergency at 35,000 feet

“I was returning home to Los Angeles via San Francisco after attending a conference. About two hours into the journey, I heard the hostess make the announcement: ‘If we have any medics on board, can they kindly make themselves known to the cabin crew in business class,’” writes Ajarat Bada.

Bada singlehandedly treated a dehydrated passenger on a transcontinental flight. Read why Bada is not “just a nurse.”

I am ‘a nurse’

RN to BSN student Kateri Allard was taught by her professors to be careful with her vocabulary.

Allard writes, “I have spent six years since trying to avoid that phrase. More so, I have worked to avoid that feeling. I work hard at what I do, but I am often aware that my friends and family have no concept of what nursing is. I don’t bring you to your room at the doctor’s office, sit you on the table, and check your normal blood pressure, then go and get the doctor. Instead, I am often in a room with a small child on a ventilator, multiple intravenous medications infusing through central lines keeping the vascular system constricted or dilated.”

Read more.

Nurses are never off duty

Genevieve M. Clavreul, RN, Ph.D. has seen it all. And she’ll be the first to tell you that some of the biggest challenges nurses face happen while off duty. Read about how some of her quick-thinking saved many days.

Nursing classes from Alvernia University are delivered in an 8-week class format, scheduled throughout the year in a blended online/face-to-face format — one day per week of on-site instruction. The RN to BSN courses are offered at four convenient locations — Main Campus (Reading), Montgomery County Community College in Pottstown, Philadelphia and Pottsville Centers.